Down Gaa The Official Site of

Carryduff News

Burren, Kilcoo and Clonduff qualify for SFC Semi Finals

Monday 11th October 2021

Burren, Kilcoo and Clonduff qualify for SFC Semi Finals

The Morgan Fuels Down GAA SFC Quarter Finals took place over the weekend with Burren, Kilcoo and Clonduff all winning to qualify for the semi-finals which will be played on the weekend of the 22nd October.  The final spot will be taken by either Ballyholland or Glen who play this evening in Pairc Esler at 7.15pm.  That game is also being streamed live on DownGAA.TV

In the Sunday evening game Burren overcame Mayobridge 1-15 to 2-08, but the game could have gone either way until the dying minutes when Odhran Murdock hit the net in injury-time to book Burren's place in the last four.

Burren led by 0-09 to 0-03 at the break and looked in complete control.  During the second half Mayobridge fought back and regrouped by the second water break to bridge the gap to 4 points 0-11 to 0-07.  Early in the last quarter Mayobridge were awarded a penalty which Corey Quinn duly smashed into the net to reduce the gap to 1 point.

Burren once again went 3 points up before Mayobridge's Aaron Magee shot past Cillian Burns to level it with normal time up. With time up and the crowd expecting extra time Burren’s Danny Migill picked out Odhran Murdock who fired past Charlie Smyth to put Burren back in the lead and into the semi-finals along Clonduff and Kilcoo.  The draw for the semi-finals will take place after tonight’s last Quarter Final between Ballyholland and Glenn.

On Saturday afternoon current Champions Kilcoo were taken into extra time by Carryduff before they came out with a one-point victory over last year's beaten finalists to book a semi-final spot.

Kilcoo 1-18 Carryduff 3-11 (aet).

By half time Kilcoo had opened up 1-07 to 0-05 lead.  Carryduff continued to chip away at the Kilcoo lead after the break and reduced the gap to two-points before Kilcoo once again opened up a four-point lead with Ceilum Doherty and Shealan Johnston points with less than 10 minutes of normal time left.

James Guinness' scored the first of his two goals to reduce the gap to one, but once again Kilcoo stretched their lead back to three points.  Josh Connery in the dying minutes of second-half injury buried the ball into the back of the Kilcoo net to force the game into extra time.

During the first period of extra time the sides swapped points and at half time the score was 2-11 to 1-14.

During the second period of extra time Kilcoo fired over 4 unanswered points from Paul Devlin, Anthony Morgan, Jerome Johnston and Dillon Ward before Carryduff's James Guinness once again fired to the net to reduce the gap to 1 point, however time was up and Kilcoo advanced to the semi-finals.

On Sunday afternoons game Clonduff overcame RGU Downpatrick 1-15 to 0-12.  By the 1st water break Clonduff led 0-6 to 0-01, however by half time the sides were level at 0-08 apiece.

Clonduff opened up a three-point lead soon after the restart and, although Downpatrick did their best to stick the pace, a Ross Carr point and a brilliantly fashioned goal which was finished off by Barry O'Hagan confirmed Clonduff's superiority.

The draw for the semi-finals will be made following tonight's final quarter-final clash between Ballyholland and Glenn (7.15pm) which can be viewed on DownGAA.TV.